Beyond Codespaces – Devcontainers that feel like $HOME
Monday, January 29, 2024 - 8:30 PM UTC, for 1 hour.
Regular, 60 minute presentation
Room: Campsite 5
Modern development methods include continuous integration and continuous deployment. Advanced tooling fosters reproducible build of our software. However, setting up the environment for development in and of itself, is still an error-prone and arbitrary process. In this talk, we will investigate the tooling for the provisioning of reproducible development environments that spin up within the blink of an eye. We will look at init systems for containers, service orchestration, logging and monitoring of container services, and even GUI applications that can run in a container that eventually feels like home.
a little bit of Docker and its ecosystem
- Current offerings for remote development
- Limits and constraints of development in containers
- Importance of reproducible development environments
- Init systems for containers
- Setting up a whole software infrastructure in a single container